Family Caregiver Support
The Family Caregiver Support Program was created in 2000 to support family and informal (unpaid) caregivers to care for their loved ones at home for as long as possible. It is well known that caregiving may place a heavy emotional, physical, social, and financial load on the caregiver. Many caregivers over time may become very vulnerable to decline in their own health. This program was designed to coordinate with other community-based services to support those caring for an older adult. The purpose is to reduce caregiver stress and burden so they can care for their loved one longer in their home.
Frequently asked questions about the program:
Who is a caregiver?
- Anyone can be a caregiver of an older or disabled adult who is 60 years old or older: daughters, sons, nieces, nephews, spouses, same sex partners, close friends, & neighbors. OR
- A grandparent or relative that is at least 55 years of age and caring for a young child or an adult with a developmental disability. OR
- A person caring for an individual of any with Alzheimer’s or related dementia.
What services are available?
Services may vary from county to county dependent upon the resources available in your community but generally include the following:
- Information and referral services
- Assistance in connecting you with the available supportive services
- Options or benefits counseling and support
- Education and training for caregivers to help them in making decisions and solving problems related to their caregiving role
- Respite care in the form of in-home assistance, adult day care or group respite to provide the caregivers with a temporary relief from their caregiving duties
- Supplemental services to assist the caregiving as needed such as incontinence supplies, nutrition supplements, minor home modifications, and assistive devices
Where do I find services?
Contact your local Family Caregiver Support Program for more information.
- Anson County Council on Aging: 704-694-6217
- Cabarrus County Dept. of Human Services: 704-920-1400
- Gaston County Dept. of Health and Human Services: 704-862-7540
- Iredell County Council on Aging: 704-873-5171
- Lincoln County Senior Services Dept.: 704-736-8410
- Mecklenburg County Dept. of Social Services: 704-432-1111
- Rufty-Holmes Senior Center (Rowan County): 704-216-7704
- Stanly County Senior Services Dept.: 704-986-3769
- Council on Aging in Union County: 704-292-1797
Who is eligible for FCSP?
- Click here to find out who is eligible.